Emerging Opportunities and Innovations in Biotechnology and Food Safety Assessment: Practical Scientific Resources to Enable the Development of Safe Foods
May 22, 2019
11:00 am – 12:30 pm
The Health and Environmental Sciences Institute (HESI) Protein Allergens, Toxins, and Bioinformatics (PATB) committee will be hosting a webinar to discuss emerging opportunities and innovations in the biotechnology and food safety assessment arenas. See details below!
- Date: Wednesday, May 22, 2019
- Time: 11 AM - 12:30 PM EST
- Registration: Click here to register.
- Scott McClain, Regulatory Product Safety Scientist, Syngenta Crop Protection (USA), PATB Committee Co-Chair
- Lars Poulsen, Head of Research, Allergy Clinic, Copenhagen University Hospital at Gentofte (Denmark), Member of the COMPARE Database Peer-Review Expert Panel
Advances in agricultural and food biotechnology bring the opportunity to improve the way we grow food and feed crops. As part of the requirements to ensure food safety, it is vital to mitigate potential risks of introducing new allergens or unintended components in the food chain that could induce adverse reactions in humans.
The Health and Environmental Sciences Institute (HESI) Protein Allergens, Toxins, and Bioinformatics (PATB) committee engages international collaborative teams of academics, clinicians, regulators, and industry scientists who conduct research, design and populate public database resources, and convene trainings on the use and evaluation of biotechnology products. The PATB oversees the creation, maintenance, and distribution of the Comprehensive Protein Allergen Resource (COMPARE) Database whose use in conjunction bioinformatic tools, offers an effective means for assessing allergenic potential of novel food proteins.
Webinar attendees will:
- Learn directly from experts in the committee about the nuts and bolts of food safety assessment of biotechnology products, the committee contributions to the field and new emerging issues
- Engage in an interactive discussion about emerging opportunities, challenges, and innovations in the biotechnology and food safety assessment arenas